How do I get Gtalk to show Current Music Track from Winamp?

On the PC, winamp has the possibility to show the Current Music Track. However, by default it only works with windows media player. Me, I currently like to use Winamp.

I found a super-easy trick for getting Winamp to send the current music track to Google Talk without having to install any third party plug-ins. The link to the guide is here.

All I had to do was turn on the option in Google talk, uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option in my explorer settings, and then go to where winamp is installed (usually C:\Program Files\Winamp\) and create a new notepad file. I renamed it to winamp.m3u.

Actually, at this point, Windows didn't let me start creating files willy-nilly, so I had to make the .txt file elsewhere (on my desktop for example), rename it from "New text file.txt" to "winamp.m3u", and copy it into the Winamp folder mentioned above.
Then google talk crashed, so I had to restart it. Winamp didn't crash, but the guide told me to restart it, so I did so, and hey presto! Now I'm spamming everyone with status updates on my bad music taste! Yay!


Comments

Popular Posts