Ok, maybe Valentine's wasn't so bad this year

Valentine's day is like a memorial day for me. People (and animals) tend to die around that time. Although nothing has happened for the past couple years, every time the pink hearts and chocolate boxes start to appear, trepidation begins to fill me, and I start to wonder who will fall ill or shuffle off this mortal coil.

This year, we were to spend it with the in-laws. Spending time with the in-laws isn't the most romantic thing to do, as anyone who has in-laws can tell you. (Dear in-laws, please don't be offended, as I am sure that also you know what I mean.) It ended up being nice, and we even got the opportunity to escape for a bit.

For Valentine's day, I didn't receive chocolates or flowers or a Valentine's card. Instead, I got a tea pot, tea, a German crafting magazine, and best of all, some Ingress portals. (I'll have to write more about Ingress in another post, as it merits an entry of its own.) The husband, in turn, received some much-needed underwear and socks. (Mm, romantic? Well, maybe not, but at least his undies won't have ventilation holes in the butt anymore for a while.)

I mentioned that we made an escape. We took the in-laws' car and drove away to as far Northwest as you can possibly get in Israel for some fresh air and good views. We stood at the top of the Rosh Hanikra grottos, and looked down over the coastline. Then we drove off to the forest of Hanita. The smell of pinecones filled the air as we wandered around a bit, avoided motocross bikers, picked pinecones, and wondered what these mysterious, giant piles of shit on the ground were. We stared at it and eliminated potential animals: It wasn't horse, it wasn't bear, it wasn't elk, but it was something big and elk-like... At last, while rounding a corner and getting away from the motocross bikers, we heard a tell-tale ding-a-ling and saw a big confused-looking creature poking out from behind some bushes. The mystery was solved: this was the shit of a very very VERY very productive cow, which apparently gets around a lot and lives in this particular forest.

All in all, it was a good day. Nice company, great food, nice presents, fresh air, and a shit-related-conundrum, all in one day.

Comments

  1. Nice story! I know what you mean ... And also I have the same "feeling" on 14th of February every years since 2006! I went to PernÄ graveyard and lighted a candle yesterday in the memory of my Mother / your Grandmother.

    In the evening I went to a workshop in BorgĂ„ and made you a new art book in leather all by myself instead if the one you bought in Estonia and gave us for our 60´s celebration last Autumn!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts