Noitapuisto - The Witch Park

Last weekend, I went exploring in Borgå (or Porvoo, as it is called in Finnish. Places in Finland have two names, one in Swedish and one in Finnish) It’s a beautiful little city-town which one of those charming “old town” sections to it. While tromping through the old town section, we came upon a small market square with stalls selling everything from wartime memorabilia, stamps, woolen socks, felted animals, jewelry, and these hand-crafted bags. They were being sold at a stall called Noitapuisto, which roughly translates to The Witch Park.

Noitapuisto

I fell in love with a tweed shoulderbag with whiskers, cat-ears, and a dangly little tail, but there were bags of all sizes. Some were big enough to carry everything but the kitchen sink, and others were custom-sized for iPods or mobile phones.

Cat-bag

While there were also stuffed rats with soft woolen claws, the theme of cats was most prevalent. There were pins, and small stuffed toys, and a deliciously cute little box of mice. If I hadn’t had a two-digit number in my bank just then, I would’ve splurged and bought things left, right and center. When I finally managed to drag myself away from the stall, I came away inspired.

Kitties

Comments

Popular Posts