Grammar

t3h gr@mm3r is t3h I3@d.

Where I study right now, a majority of the students seem to be training to be teachers. Last year I lived in a flat full of these teachers-to-be. I was secretly scared about where this country is headed, as those teachers-to-be had a very poor grasp of spelling, grammar, or even maths. Good thing it’s not my country. haahaaa, you’re all doomed! ;) I wouldn’t want MY kids taught by someone who can’t do it right themselves.
(Let’s forget the fact that I don’t want kids in the first place.)

I don’t believe that good grammar is a sign of intelligence, or that poor grammar is a sign of stupidity. Same goes for spelling. You can be dyslexic but very bright. But despite this, I find myself annoyed by the amount of ‘stupid’ people who just can’t tell the difference between it’s and its, their and they’re, and so on… Or people who just.. can’t.. understand that it is full of wonder but wonderful. Raah! :) Frustrating. It’s not even my first language. Hell, it’s not even my second language. But I’ve been learning it in school since I was 4. Still, that’s no excuse, as most English-speakers have a head-start on me, having started learning English as soon as they were born. My Finnish and Swedish, however, are pretty pathetic. While I might sometimes get the spelling right, the grammar won’t be, and my vocabulary is extremely limited. Still, this comes from my having learnt only in English.

I just did a respectable grammar/spelling quiz. I am not perfect, nor do I strive to be. It shared some weird statistics.

# With respect to Beginner, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.
# With respect to Intermediate, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.
# With respect to Advanced, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.
# With respect to Expert, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.


On the other hand, it also said the following, so I doubt its validity:
Compared to users who took the test and are and in your age group:
* 100% had lower Beginner scores.
* 100% had lower Intermediate scores.
* 100% had lower Advanced scores.
* 100% had lower Expert scores.


No way in hell I’m the best in my age group!

Ah well. Here. Curious? Go try this quiz at: The Commonly Confused Words Test

My score:
Advanced
You scored 100% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 55% Expert!
You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels’ questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don’t use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.



NERD-ALERT!

Ah.. and there is something wrong with the world if everyone younger than 55 years of age is suddenly crap at grammar and spelling, no?

Comments

Popular Posts