Wobbled, not shaken

Today, I got to experience an earthquake! Quake? More like shiver. This is apparently the second earthshiver I’ve knowingly experienced. I slept through the first one about 20 years ago.

This second one was a little scarier. I sat on the sofa in the top floor of an apartment building. Suddenly the sofa starts wobbling, and in fact, so does the whole damn floor. The sensation is of standing on a tall ladder and someone wobbling the base under you. A few plates jingled. And it was over as fast as it started.

I thought it was an explosion, because I’m used to those. In Finland, when they build things, they often end up having to use explosives because the ground is all one big slab of giant granite rock. But it lasted a little too long

Then, I thought something had crashed into my building. 

Both these thoughts went through my head within the span of several milliseconds. When I realized there had been no sound accompanying the jiggling, other than some noisy plates, I decided that both my theories were wrong.

Earthquake, then? Either that, or I was going a little insane.

Later, Eyal assured me that he had heard in the news that it was indeed an earthquake. So I was no madder than usual. Phew.

Comments

Popular Posts