Rain at last

It’s raining at last.

Or rather, it’s pouring. The skies have opened up and the rain is tearing across the country with colossal power. Many cities are flooded.

I like the rain. Finally nothing looks a dusty orangey-brown anymore and when the clouds are gone, I can see across the bay further than ever.

Unfortunately, our apartment has sprung several leaks, almost all of them caused by old roof tiles. We live on the top floor and there is a small attic above us. We phoned our landlord about it during the weekend, and a nice repairman showed up today to take a look. Unfortunately, while it rains, he can’t do anything about it, so until then our pans, pots, and bowls will be employed as raincatchers, along with their buddies, the towels.

My office seems to have it worst. There is an ugly stain, like diluted tea, spreading across the wall behind me. It also comes through the window because someone forgot to finish the wall there. There is a crack above the balcony window in the livingroom where more rain slips in, and a proper stream runs in from under another window.

Until today, the bedroom was the only room that was spared from this spreading ugly brown patch, but today there is a tiny patch growing there as well. Luckily, it’s as far away from the bed as it can get. I can tolerate the rain seeping in elsewhere, but a wet, dripping bed would not be acceptable!

I’ve started doodling again. It’s so much easier to focus in class when the other half of my brain is busy doing something and leaves the rest of me alone to focus on the words coming out of the teacher’s mouth.

I’ll try to scan some tomorrow to show you. I seem to be developing an obsession with the letter “a” and owls.

Also, I finally finished both Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of the Betrayer. MotB was really good, and I feel like replaying it, this time as an eeeeebil bastard. (I find it too hard to play bad guys - I’m much too nice a person.)
Meanwhile, I’ve discovered that there are a lot of really good-quality player-made campaigns and modules to explore. Currently, I’m enjoying a very well-made story called “Harp & Chrysanthemum”. If you own NWN2 and are looking for a quality module to try out, go check it out. I especially enjoy the hand-drawn map for when you travel to one place to another. I’ll try to grab a screenshot to show next time I play it! It’s like a Tolkien map, except made with colored pencils instead of professional-quality ink. Very cute.

Back to the rain: I hope the smell in my room isn’t permanent or harmful… and that those cracks I see in the corner aren’t getting bigger. These plaster-made walls are really not very rain-proof! Give me proper bricks or insulated wood! Stupid plaster…

The repairman will hopefully come rescue us on next Sunday or Monday, when it will supposedly not rain. *fingers crossed!*

Comments

Popular Posts