Sewing, building, and more

On Friday and Saturday, I sewed. I made a dress with pockets and no sleeves. I used another dress I had as a pattern and then modified it. I’ll post a picture later… It was good practice and also pleasant to work on.

Sunday, I did nothing. I watched a British miniseries with the ever so sexy Sean Bean. The series has a most cheesy name, “Extremely Dangerous”, but it got me hooked. For some reason, the TV showed episodes 1 to 3 and left out the final one, episode 4! Grarr! I want to see what happens!

On Monday, I started converting my European power cords to Israeli ones. This involves cutting off the old one (or unscrewing them if it works), and attaching a new one. This is surprisingly easy. You just have to make sure you put the right-colored cables in the right slots, and all goes well. Otherwise, I expect things could get a little more dangerous.
We also saw Inglorious Basterds at last. Man, that was a hell of a lot of fun! Thank goodness I understood about 85% of the French and German perfectly, because the subtitles were all in Hebrew and it felt like about half of the movie was not spoken in English!

Today, we went to IKEA in Tel Aviv. In almost all other countries, going to IKEA is a relatively pleasant experience. But today was a nightmare. First we spent 20 minutes circling the parkling lot, trying to find a place to park. All the spots, both legal and illegal were taken, and all you could do was hope to catch someone else leaving before anyone else did. Horrible.
Inside the shop, it was easier to see all the other people than furniture. Luckily, it wasn’t as bad as the parking lot, but if you were interested in any product, you had to walk all the way up to it around the other people to get a decent look.
The queues at the cashiers were horrid, and the loading points were guarded by zealous security guards who wanted to check your receipt before they would let you into the area. How crazy is that? They actually need security guards to make sure people don’t steal the loading zone spots!
This had a horrible line to it as well, because the people who didn’t know they needed receipts decided to block the entrance to the loading zone instead of doing a round around the parking lot while the person in the shop finished paying and brought the receipt to the car. How dumb.

Afterwards, we had pancakes. Pancakes gooooood. We schlepped this Ă…nes chest of drawers upstairs. Luckily, a new neighbour happened to leave his flat right then and happily offered to help, so Eyal got some man-strength to help him drag it to the top. Then we switched roles again and I got to use my man-strength in building the chest of drawers. Eyal’s not so experienced with tools like hammers or screwdrivers, so I did most of it. He got to do a little too. It was actually fun to build it together.
At one point, I made a mistake, so we had to disassemble a drawer and restart it. Luckily, I remembered a trick my dad had taught me and it was no problem to get the nails out of the drawer without damaging anything.

Now, the chest of drawers + a tiny little surprising mini-box with lots of dividers sits in my room. I’ve filled it up with the various things sitting in my room in utterly stupid places, like A3 drawing paper, boxes, and random spools of thread. My scanner and little photo printer sit atop of it. It’s starting to come together indeed.

I will post some pictures when I’m happy with this room. :) I still want to put up some decorations and pictures first.

Comments

Popular Posts