Chag Sameach!

Man I am pooped.

Today was the last day at the Ulpan before the holidays start.It’s time for Sukkot! As far as I can tell, this is a sort of follow-up to Yom Kippur, where children build little huts of their own outdoors. Eyal told me how great it was to camp outdoors all week as a little kid inside a hut of his own.

“Chag Sameach” means “Happy festivities!” In Hebrew, it’s written: חג שמח

As you might guess, there is also a lot more to Sukkot than just camping out in your garden, but this is the most concrete, down-to-earth manifestation of it. The rest of it involves going on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, celebrating the harvest and thanking God for it, and so on and so forth. Wikipedia says: “The sukkah is reminiscent of the type of the fragile dwellings in which the ancient Israelites dwelt during their 40 years of wandering in the desert after the Exodus from Egypt.”. That’s good enough for me. It’s a hut-celebrating holiday!

I think our Hebrew-teacher thinks it a homework-celebrating holiday, because she sure gave enough of it.

Yesterday, I finished a prototype version of a dress I’ve been thinking about for a couple months. It’s a simple dress that goes to the knees and has pockets.

Do you know how hard it is to find a dress with pockets? For some reason people think that dresses should not come with pockets. Well, I’m going to slap on two HUGE ones in the front.

I went out and bought some cloth today for the purpose of making the real version … except the cloth cost a lot more than I had planned. So I think I’ll save this cloth for a more serious project and create this one with some discount cloth I got.

Hopefully it won’t be too hideous! I think it might make a very nice dress to wear over a long-sleeved shirt and black tights this autumn!

Comments

Popular Posts