Grafitti

Usually, when I walk around and see grafitti in Finland, it’s done with a big permanent marker and says text like “FUK U! I RULZ!” or is something illegible, ugly, and uninteresting made with black spraypaint.

This seems to be different in Hungary. That is not to say that you still get the ugly spraypaint grafitti, the likes of cryptic text defacing some otherwise beautiful building, but you also get something a lot more interesting. They use stencils, have quirky or cute images, or just artistic ones. Is there an underground movement of grafitti artists running around in the local art school? I don’t know, but I quite like it.

Most of these more tasteful ones are made on walls that just enclose an area, as opposed to walls that people live inside of.

But anyway, here are a few of the coolest grafitti paintings I’ve been able to find.


Squigglies


I quite like this one. It reminds me of the art I did for a while - making a random blotch and then finding creatures in it. Is the name of the little sausage-creature “Primo” or did someone just come on over and squiggle it randomly up there?


18


18. Why 18? I don’t know. Maybe someone turned 18 and wanted to celebrate?


Birds


The mad stenciler strikes again.


Tweet


A strange bird. Made in markers and seemingly shocked about something? Dead zombie bird?


Mole


The mole! I don’t know what he’s called in English, but he’s an old old cartoon character from the 80’s or 70’s?


Z


I don’t know who or what Z is, but there’s a definite Metropolis-influence going on here.

Comments

Popular Posts