If every day I tried to leave work were this eventful, I would probably get home an hour late each day.

Today as I exited the building and walked towards the bus station, I could smell a distinct, vaguely familiar and yet completely bizarre scent in the air. It was something burning.

“What is this? Weed? Is someone smoking weed in the graveyard? Huh?” I sniff-sniffed, looking around, and saw no one smoking although there was this weird guy staring right at me. I carried on, shrugging, and yet the smell persisted.

After a little while of walking, there it was. Firetrucks in the distance, a policecar in front, and a much more dominant smoke smell. The policewoman directed the traffic away from the smoke hovering from up ahead.

I cursed as I tried to get my malevolent camera to work. After about five minutes of turning it on and off with an error constantly showing, I gave up and started to take the detour to the bus station, but a few meters in, it finally turned on properly and I started snapping away.

Helsinki burns


Smoke on the streets


Curious onlookers

So here, for your viewing pleasure, Helsinki burrrrns. I also recorded a very shaky, poor video. The most exciting part is probably when the helicopter flies right overhead. Please admire our strong-looking policeman as he explains things to people.

I have no idea what was burning, only where was burning.

Incidentally, here’s a shot from my town when I got home. This time it only took me about 3  minutes to get the damn camera to turn on… The sky was so dark and the leaves were so bright.. :) It was a different kind of fire.

Autumn leaves

Comments

Popular Posts