True Love: A definition?

Pardon the cheesiness. I did an online quiz that asked me if I believed in true love. I replied no, but at the same time I know that I am truly in love. I always defined true love as (and forgive me for not putting it eloquently, but I believe the way I express the definition also portrays a certain truth about it:


like superepic love that can fly over everything and conquer all

So I quickly typed in “true love” into google, resisting the urge to see if wikipedia had an entry on it, and found an example of this superepic uberleet flyz0ring disney type of True Love.


IDENTIFYING TRUE LOVE We can only identify true love and know when we have found it, based on the Word of God. When we match our relationships up to what the Bible says that love is — and we are honestly prepared to make a life-long commitment to that person — then we can say that we are truly “in love.” The three keys to that statement are:

We have to…


  1. look at the Word of God

  2. be completely honest with ourselves

  3. understand the level of commitment that comes with true love


christiananswers.net

Ugh. It is answers like this that make me very scared for the future. It seems so overly rehearsed and brainwashed that it hurts to look at. Very Disney and naive. Then, I found this other definition. If it is indeed an accurate description of true love (not True Love), then I certainly believe in it. I don’t want a threesome with God, thankyouverymuch.



Love


  • Sees the other person’s flaws and still loves them

  • Wants to serve the other person; selfless

  • Still spends time with others

  • Takes time to build the relationship

  • Other relationships and friendships grow stronger

  • Trust and understanding results in less severe and less frequent jealousy

  • Encompasses a long-term commitment

  • Survives and sometimes is strengthened because of distance

  • Quarrels are less serious and less often

  • Quarrels can strengthen the relationship


I especially enjoy the points about distance, spending time with others, and seeing flaws but still loving them. Eyal, you may leave chunks of toothpaste in the sink, but I love you anyway. In any one else, it would probably annoy me. Incidentally, this second definition came from the distinctly uncool site of College Sex & Love. I was expecting to find something truly inane and stupid, but was pleasantly suprised. It also offered a comparison to infatuation.

How do you define true love, and do you believe in it?

Comments

Popular Posts