RAM-sticks and apple pie

I just went off and bought myself some more RAM for the pc. If you have no idea what it is, my own ignorant mind would describe it thus: RAM is short for “Random Access Memory” or something like that… So it’s a type of memory, but it’s not that space you have on your hard drive. It’s something else. It comes in sort of a comb-shape, you shove it in the pc, and the pc’s brain uses it as space to think and calculate crap. Or something like that. Make any sense?

Well. I wanted to upgrade my little beast’s RAM from 1 gb to 2 gb, so I went off to buy me some new RAM sticks! The other pc broke down today right after the coffee machine did. Both of them clearly had a built-in self-destruct sequence that initiates itself a month or two after the warranty runs out. I could have taken the RAM from the other pc and stuck it in here, because apparently they are the same type (DDR) and the same speed (400). However, they say it’s a bad idea to mix different brands even if the speed is the same. So off I went. My brother also bought 2 gigs of RAM, but his was of the DDR2 type, and annoyingly, 2 sticks of that cost the same as 1 of mine! Damn it.

Apple pie

So anyway, I got home and then I felt the immense urge to bake an apple pie. I was gone in Hungary a short while ago and attempted to bake one then. Unfortunately, things went a little wrong with the baking process resulting in a “lightly charred” pie. I made it again today, and with great success.

I posted this one a few years back, but really, I love it so much that I’ll do it again. This is a really really easy recipe for dough that can complement so many different toppings. I’ve done it myself with blueberries and apples, but why stop there?



200 g butter
200 g sugar

Mix the unmelted butter and sugar together in a bowl using your hands until it becomes even. Then add:

400 g flour
1 egg
1 tablespoon of cream
1 teaspoon of baking powder

Again, mix it all together with your hands. The dough should be somewhat crumbly, but not overly floury. If you find that it has too much flour, just add a teeny bit more cream and mix it some more.

Grease pie pan, and gently line the dough over it. Apply your topping (lots of blueberries with lots of sugar or sliced apples with some sugar and lots of cinnamon work well). If you have leftover dough, you can use it to decorate the top.

Stick it in a heated oven (175 degrees celsius, I believe), leave it in there for half an hour or so, but keep an eye on it just in case.

Serve with vanilla icecream, whipped cream, or whatever you prefer!



In other news, I will be changing the look of this blog away from this default design, so if you see some funky stuff going on, please don’t be scared.

Comments

Popular Posts