Evora

I found some of my old photographs from a trip to Evora in Portugal as I was cleaning my room. I felt it was a shame to let them just lie there forgotten and thought that it might be a nice idea to start uploading some of my artsy-fartsy photos onto the net. Perhaps later I’ll even make a seperate section for them in annmi.com if it turns out there’s enough.

Evora

So anyway, here are a few photographs from Evora. Evora is an amazing city. It’s ancient. Living in Finland, I can hardly imagine such places existing.

Evora

Walk through the winding, narrow roads and then suddenly emerge in the center of a sort of plaza with a ruined ancient Roman temple dedicated to Diana.

Evora

Elsewhere, hidden there was a chapel of bones. I couldn’t take any photos there, but <a href=”http://www.annmi.com/physical/buildings/evora1.php” target=”_blank”>I sketched</a>. It was amazing. Small room, aligned with spines, ribs, skulls, and all manners of useful bones. It made me wonder how anyone could at the time the chapel had been built imagine christianity as a religion of love. There dangled also two complete skeletons from the walls, supposedly the bodies of men who abused their wives.

Evora

Hidden behind the old faded walls, lemon trees and orange trees sprouted and tantalized me with their fruit. And this was supposedly winter.

Evora

I hope to go there someday again… The place was magical and I cannot put into words the feelings my memories evoke. Hopefully at least a little bit of it is transmitted to the viewer through these misty photographs.

Comments

Popular Posts