Originalism

I trip-trapped my way over to peek at Originalism’s place [taken offline since the writing of this post] and found myself sinking into his words. I’m hungry. Not hungry for food, mind you - just for something good and juicy to read. A little snack (like a children’s book) couldn’t satisfy me now - I’m far too starved. I recently finished reading this fantastic book Consider Phlebas by Ian M. Banks. I think that’s what has left me so ravenous. I’ve tasted blood and I want more… (MORE! MORE! MORE!) 

It was in this state of mind that I sneaked a peek at Jeremy’s blog and began to read. And read. And read. I left few comments - I wasn’t in the mood for writing. I don’t agree with all he says, and I don’t understand his spirituality, but I truly enjoy reading it despite that. It’s similar to when I listen to Ben Harper or Chris Rea. Both have very strong Christian lyrics. Ben in addition seems an avid supporter of ganja. I’m not exactly into either one. (Not that being “into” them is probably the right term - it seems like something you would say about some new hip band. Do you like Neon Teddybears? No. They’re alright, but I’m more into Voloptuous Bossoms.) But the point I make is that despite these differences of opinion, I really love their music. I can’t sing or make music like them, and neither can I write like Jeremy. But that’s alright, it’d just be a poorly made rip-off if I tried. 

To entertain myself, while my head remains in this foggy state of mind, I decided to look up “Originalism” to see if it actually meant something or if I was just dense. I am sure that he has at some point defined his name, but even if I’ve seen it, I’ve the memory of an amoeba. (Maybe I should call myself Ann-Miba?) This is what my beloved Merriam-Webster came up with. 


The word you’ve entered isn’t in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above. 
Suggestions for originalism

1. original sin 
2. originality 
3. originals 
4. irrationalism 
5. originalities 
6. organicism 
7. originates 
8. irrationalisms 
9. imaginarily 
10. irrationalist


For some reason, this tickled me muchly. I wonder if any of it fits him. 

Each time I type in originalism.com, I feel compelled to visit a long-time favorite with a similar name but completely different idea: orisinal.com. Incidentally, perhaps my Ann-Miba brain is just making things up now, but I seem to recall seeing a definition of originality on orisinal that somehow portrayed the message of how nothing is actually original and how everything just tries to be so. But for a site that just has cute little games on it, it seems a strangely “deep” message. So surely I must be wrong. 
(Is that what the point of Billy Joel’s We didn’t start the fire is? Or is it as wikipedia speculates “that the world has been in a frenzied and troubled state since before his generation’s birth.”?)

Comments

Popular Posts