ImagineFX Evolution

I read a newspaper today. Granted, it wasn’t one of your fancy real ones… but I suppose even reading the free handout on subways and buses called “Metro” counts as reading news. I figure since the rest of the world gets to bask in important news about Israel vs. the world, I’d share some typically Finnish news articles. Anyway, ignoring the “wi are teh b3st!!111” headlines of Finland having the lowest rate of unemployed people in 15 years, I found a few more depressing items.

bible-dinosaur
Stolen from this scary site

For example, only 65% of Finnish people believe in the evolutionary theory. And this is apparently the average rate for the 34 countries researched. About 30% think it is wrong - that is we were put here by god or aliens. I wonder what the remaining 5% think. Haven’t quite made their mind up, haven’t ever heard of it, or don’t care? On the positive side, Iceland, Denmark, and Sweden find over 80% of the population are fans of evolution, closely followed by France, Japan, and Britain. It’s slightly scary that only 40% of Americans apparently accept evolution.

On another depressing note, someone committed a criminal action of shooting a bear. It was a crime because the bear was still suckling its cub. Someone injured it, bear injured someone else, and then someone “murdered” it.

But all isn’t doom and gloom! I stumbled on a really interesting magazine while tromping about past an R-Kioski.

Magazine cover

It’s called ImagineFX and it’s a fantasy & sci fi digital art magazine. I used to subscribe for Computer Arts, but that one also has tons of vector-based stuff and tutorials for other things that don’t interest me. Since my taste is rather more fantasy and sci fi oriented, this one interests me more. It’s a very young magazine, only 8 magazines old, which you can tell from the fact that it has so few ads and seems to be growing in content. Next month, they’ll start showing the “work in progress of established and up-and-coming artists”. Often sketches interest me more than the actual finished product, so I think I’m definitely going to start buying this thing.

I’m feeling: Restless Listening to: Jaipur Kawa Brass Band

Comments

Popular Posts