Matchmaker matchmaker

Playing: Daft Punk - Rock’n Roll

At the bequest of señor bitzky, I did this personality quiz.

Turns out I’m the battleaxe. This amused me enough for me to nearly fall off my bed laughing and thus I sent the link onwards to find out how badly my friends were classified. Half of them actually came out as The Last Man on Earth, which made me feel a bit better until I realized I wouldn’t consider them the last man on earth and that must say something about me, no? ;) No, just kidding. I think that test is screwed up. :P I am quiet, not the cliché Italian Housewife it seemed to have me set out to be.

Anyway, all of that is besides the point. One of my friends wrote back and complained that now it was “matching” him up with people.
I replied: Ignore it.
unless you want to see how poorly you match
I think my highest was like 61%

And he replied something which I found to cut to the core of the matter, to the REAL problem:
it’s nice to relationships reduced to percentages :)

Now I’ve filled in a few silly surveys in my online time, a couple of them actually matchmaking type quizzes, and it’s always been the same. Percentages. “Oh yes, I’m 85% compatible with Mr. Reebles, but only 35% with Jimmy Bob. I’m not going to go near Jimmy! But Mr. Reebles, now there’s someone I should investigate closer.” Maybe the percentages work if you’re the type of person who gets along best with those who answer the questions as similarly as you do, but I personally like a bit of variety…

If you’re the type of person to seek out people over dating services, I guess you’ll find other people who are likely to use a dating service. :P And if that dating service works in percentages, you’ll find people superficially. Sure, the poll may ask “deep” questions, but you still won’t be out after their personality, will you? Maybe you won’t even care about their looks. Aren’t anonymous numbers and a categorized personality even more superficial than looking at someone’s pictures?

Comments

Popular Posts