Egyptian Cantaloupe

I can’t spell the word cantaloupe. I try to spell it cantEloupe. But that’s ok, because I was looking for a rhyme with matchmaker in it, not the word cante-.. I mean, cantAloupe.

I came upon this fascinating site with a few strange recipes. I *have* to try it. But the introduction itself, which provides a background to the cantaloupe, is perhaps even more interesting. Did you know that:

* Depicted in Egyptian tomb paintings dating back to 2400 B.C., melons originated in the Middle East, spread across Europe, and later were brought to America by Christopher Columbus.
* Cantaloupes are thought to have been developed in Cantalou, a former Papal garden near Rome. Apparently the true cantaloupe remained in Europe and has a “rough, warty” skin, while the melon we call “cantaloupe” here is technically a muskmelon.
For more interesting facts on, and recipes with, the CANTALOUPE of all things, check out this link:

Matchmaker, Find Me A Cantaloupe

Comments

Popular Posts