Impending doom and fruitflies

Mood: Floating  Playing: Ikue Mori

Someone left the cheeses and raisinbread out again. The fruitfries are going crazy over it, laying their little eggy-weggies with their little squirmywormies inside. That worries me a bit. Cheese? Why the cheese? At least they’re leaving my creamcheese alone… I think the garlic might be driving them off.


Laying eggs
Image stolen from here

I used to keep some nice little drosophila (what’s the plural form? drosophilae?) in a test tube, where they lived out their lifecycles happily for many many weeks. This was in preparation for a biology experiment which I never conducted and can’t remember what it would have been anyway. Anyway, these little fellows had a nice human gene of their own. I treated them nicer than I probably would treat any colony of humans. They lived in their little test-tube with their fruitporridge on top of my aquarium (another failed experiment). In seeing their lifecycle, I was more disgusted than ever before by all the pretty little maggots crawling over each other, screaming for space or porridge or whatever itw as they wanted. I think by the end, it was a bit difficult to see inside the glass because of all the empty coccoons and shit which caked it.


Sexy hot-time!
Stolen from here

ANYWAY, the (very dull) point of this all is, while I may have grown a great deal more respect for these fruitflies, I also grew a lot more disgust for them. I eye any fruit that has been sat upon by a fly more suspiciously than ever before. It borders on a madness, because although I know they cannot lay their eggs inside the fruit unless the skin has been penetrated, I know what happens if they succeed. I have to convince myself it isn’t full of squirming things.

I don’t think anyone actually knows about this little phobia of mine because I’m one of those self-control freaks who hates to reveal any weakness (and is apparently difficult to read anyway).

In the end, my biology report ended up being on the far more interesting subject of Ebola as a bioterrorist weapon. It got a poorer grade than what a fruitfly report would probably have gotten, because I was unable to perform experiments for some reason…
I’ll have to write about it later, it was quite fascinating…

Comments

Popular Posts